Just noticed this output of standalone snowflake-proxy 2.9.2 (bcac2250)

2024/09/17 15:23:12 In the last 1h0m0s, there were 0 completed connections. Traffic Relayed ↓ 1689296 KB, ↑ 73160 KB.

No real problem, but 0 connections with such a amount of traffic, how is that possible? :wink:

I see some of those also.

My guess.
Clients which were connected previous to that hour and are still connected and generating traffic. Just no new connections in that specific hour.

I have my stats and will check and reply if I made a wrong guess.

I’m replying anyway to confirm my guess.

Here are 2 lines
2024/09/14 14:44:16 In the last 1h0m0s, there were 1 completed connections. Traffic Relayed ↓ 215583 KB, ↑ 18351 KB.
2024/09/14 15:44:16 In the last 1h0m0s, there were 0 completed connections. Traffic Relayed ↓ 201068 KB, ↑ 21694 KB.

At 14:16:41 a client connected. This is the 1 completed connection. And closed at 15:48:38.
The next client connect is at 15:51:11. So 0 completed connections at 15:44:16

At 15:44:16 there were 7 clients still connected. This is the traffic.

completed means that users finished their tasks and disconnected.
0 completed + traffic means that there are some users who do not want to disconnect from your proxy.

1 Like

Hmm I thought we’re supposed to only count traffic for terminated (“completed”) connections:

Maybe it’s buggy?

My stats show that 33% of all (my) connections last less than 30 seconds so that number is a bit misleading; it’s higher if I use 60 seconds as a metric.

My stats show that it just means a connection occurred with a session hash like 697bd972d2dbXXXX-82463542XXXX

I will check to see if there are closed connections in that hour.

I have no insight about traffic numbers but if so then there would be a count for every individual connection. What if the client was there for 23+ hours. Then that count only gets added at close time. Hmmm.

I’m guessing it’s for that hour. Will read the links given.

1 Like

Maybe I misunderstood the MR, and @Vort 's interpretation is correct.

@Vort is correct. In that hour I quote for the 1 connection there were 3 new open connections and only 1 close.

It was in my face and I never realized/saw it.

And the link you gave confirms that the traffic is for that hour only from all open connections.

Thanks all.

It would be clearer if the line contains the word “new” or “ established”.

Neither of those 2 terms apply here. New would be opened in that hour period and established would opened before that hour period. Completed is closed in that hour period and opened whenever.

I even wonder why we would want to know this. I could see opened in the period which would tell you how many people you helped. I only look at traffic. Have all the rest