I’ve been running a Tor node for around two months, and after running it well during that time I decided to spin up a few more, I got all of them configured correctly but I’m completely clueless when it comes to networking, and ended up softlocking two servers, requiring me to reinstall them, losing their Tor identities in the process.

For the servers I have they’ve given me an IPV6 subnet, I’ve tried talking to AI to help me set up one static IP using that, tried using guides but none of them have worked. I’m running Debian 12 on each relay I operate - if anyone has any guide that is easy to follow for Debian 12 that is up to date, or if anyone would like to offer some time to hold my hand through setting up a static IP, I’d really appreciate that, if not I’ll stick with just IPV4 since my hosting providers are getting annoyed at all the questions and fixes I’ve been forcing them to suffer through I’m sure lol

This is usually done via their control panel. Look for any network setting for each machine and see if you can assign an address from the block they gave you. Once you assign the address to the machine, it should show up as an inet6 global address, if it is correctly assigned but not showing, give it a quick reboot (I think you can tell the dhcp client to refresh/request a new IP, but I just can’t remember the command for it).

Then it’s just a matter of reconfiguring your torrc.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation and the picture to go along with it! Both of our ip a commands return a similar output, but when I try to ping an IPV6 address it fails completely:

Can you spot anything that might be wrong here? I feel like there’s something simple I’m missing

And regarding assigning an address from the network settings of my host/in the VPS panel, I don’t see any option like that. I asked them via a ticket how they manage IPV6, and they replied saying I have an IPV6 address and gateway from them that I’m free to do what I need with, which isn’t very helpful for a networking newbie like me >.<‘’

Unless I’m missing anything, that looks good to me. Check you have a route, just in case: ip -6 route show.

Have you taken care of the firewall? I’m guessing you already have some experience, as you probably had to tweak it for setting up your relay with IPv4.

Remember that IPv4 rules do not apply for IPv6, these need their own configuration.

The route seems valid to me:

user@user:~# ip -6 route show
2001:678:6d4:5150::/64 dev eth0 proto kernel metric 256 pref medium
fe80::/64 dev eth0 proto kernel metric 256 pref medium
default via 2001:678:6d4:5150::1 dev eth0 proto static metric 1024 pref medium

The firewall does seem to be open, I haven’t configured it much since this is mostly a test VPS for now
iptables