I have a trouble the connection to Tor through bridges: obfs4, snowflake, meek-azure and webtunnel, but they don’t help. Could it be due to youtube slowing down?

1 Like

My intuition says that it should not be directly affected by the measures taken to slow down YouTube. Neither the packet signatures nor IP addresses are similar enough between YouTube traffic and obfs4 bridge traffic.

Did you even succeed in connecting with any of the bridges?

Hi! Please contact us (Community Team):
on Telegram @TorProjectSupportBot
on WhatsApp +447421000612
on Signal +17787431312
by email frontdesk@torproject.org

1 Like

At the beginning, I couldn’t connect through any bridge. But recently, I was able to connect by meek-azure and it still works.

Addition
meek-azure works, but with variable success. obfs4 bridges don’t work at all.

Seems meek azure not working from friend’s testing. obfs4 bridges also fail connections from his words, though open public bridges work, and snow flake does not. Could it be obfs4 protocol became recognisable and easily blockable. Unless key mining became better. Maybe my friend and this person are only one though maybe worth launching some probing on this regards if anyone cares to see if it is the case.
Because it seems obfs4 from moat, site and recomended automatic list are fail to connect from his words. And any alternate or main rendevouze points for snowflake also seem to be blocked.

Looks like Tor has fallen in Russia - Cheburnet has won. :pensive:

1 Like

Unlikely. It would probably be a country-wide block, but there are a lot of obfs4 users from Russia still, see metrics:

I think they ought to try Moat again. Some bridges might indeed be blocked already.

About Snowflake: it sometimes takes a really long time to connect, might be up to a few minutes.

1 Like

Also see

thanks for reply and statistics, and yes he tested bridges from MOAT they work again.

yeah he found working bridges, not obfs4, different protocol. And it was like 2 hours trying to find snowflake bridge for him. Maybe just those were blocked too.
Usually new bridges creep in if not on moat or automatic connection or site bridges. But it seems this wave was larger so was slower to replenish. What our thought was because youtube video is slowed down it either broke something unintentionally, or it is some sort of testing and the Russian government tends to deploy changes regionally to seed uncertainty and test things out.(because obfs4 looks alike video traffic even if it is not really anything specific and just random data from outside)
Because it was this and longer replenishment time they asked me to report it just in case. Glad it was false alarm, and protocol still works and you need data mine it as usual to block.

2 Likes

So, he has been simply waiting for Tor Browser with Snowflake bridge to connect for 2 hours straight??

This sounds like a really long time. It reminded me of this post

And it kind of starting to sound like Russia is really trying to block individual Snowflake proxies (just a speculation).

I could connect by obfs4. It works yet.
I didn’t anything, I just tried to connect through obfs4 (bridges are taken from the telegram bot).

1 Like

Trying different sources of bridges really helps. It seems MordorNadzor find bridges and block its IP, but they don’t touch protocols (for now). So when they blocked all/most/many bridges in website pool, go get a new one from Telegram pool, than email pool, etc. At this moment I have working one obfs4 bridge, one Webtunnel and at least one Conjure bridge

1 Like