Hi @all.

I am running 8 Exit-relays on the same physical machine located in Norway.
Recently, the hosting-provider TerraHost changed to Gigahost.
This week, they changed my IPs (because of Tor-Exit-Traffic).
Now the exit-addresses are from russia (185.40.4.xx)
(link to example-relay

Is this a problem and should be avoided?

Best regards
Falk

It’s probably that the GeoIP database has not been updated yet. AFAIK Tor does not make a difference between relays based on GeoIP.

In addition, sometimes Tor relays can actually work from inside of Russia: sometimes the network filtering rules do not apply to VPS servers — they mainly target regular users.

The relays seem to be working fine.

I am a little worried about the privacy of the users.
I don’t know if attacks like traffic correlation or DNS spoofing are possible or easier.

I don’t think GeoIP affects this.

I have an off topic question about where exits node are. A bit of time ago I remember checking the tor metrics and a member’s exit nodes just out of curiosity because he was on a thread I was also on. His stated Russia but when I checked most IPs were in Germany. Are the IP databases off by that much? or were they really in DE and if so why are they listed in RU?

I think that the country might be estimated based on AS data that the relay is running on. For you it’s this one: AS214576 Berdiev Ruslan Mukhabatovich - bgp.tools

My guess is that people just register their AS in Russia and the servers might actually be somewhere else. But I don’t know much about this.

You can see exit nodes that are in Russia here.