First of all, this Topic originated from a Thread on the tor-dev mailinglist but since some people may not be registered I thought I would bring this discussion back to the forum to give others a chance to contribute their ideas as well. At the end are the references of the Thread.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to start a discussion around an idea that came up recently, and I think it’s worth exploring here with the broader community. The original idea suggested creating an installation wizard that helps new users set up nicknames, manage settings, and keep their configurations updated according to best practices. But there’s more potential here!

One proposal is to include an option during the Tor installation process that asks users a simple question: “Do you want to contribute to the Tor network?”. This could serve as a gateway for people interested in running a Middle node (a node that neither directly exposes the user nor the creator of the node). This could be designed in a way that reduces complexity and provides default, recommended settings for those who might be new to contributing.

I agree with the point that users should be familiar with the manual. But for Middle nodes, maybe providing some standard settings during installation could ease the learning curve. By doing this, we’d make it easier for users to contribute right from the start, with proper guidance on how to safely and effectively participate in the network.

Often, people are deterred from contributing because they think it’s too complicated or only for “hackers” (and often misunderstand what that term really means). A well-designed installation wizard could not only improve the network but also help educate users. Imagine a system that integrates manuals and guides seamlessly, offering users easy access to the knowledge they need to make informed decisions.

The key is to give everyone, even those who might not otherwise think they have the opportunity, the chance to get involved in supporting Tor. A lot of people don’t realize that they can contribute beyond just using the Tor Browser. Including this option during the installation could raise awareness of other ways to help the network.

Take Tor Browser as an example—it’s evolved so much since its inception, and now many users think Tor is only accessible through the browser. The truth is, Tor is much broader, and giving users the option to contribute when they install Tor could open up a whole new avenue for participation. Think about features like Snowflake—couldn’t we integrate similar ideas into this process?

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this idea, especially from those who might not follow the mailing lists. How can we make contributing to Tor more approachable for all users?

Looking forward to your feedback!

Some links:

4 Likes

This would definitely be useful and would cover a lot of installations. I actually wrote my own installation script for Debian-based distributions which takes care of installing tor and configuring the relay.

It is almost finished, being the major limitations on exits, but should be easy to finish the work. Some more testing on exits is still needed, as I ran out of time.

I didn’t plan on releasing it yet as I have little to no time available at the moment, and I’m not sure when I will have. But since you are planning on doing this (which I encourage), it would be a waste not to release the script. It’s not the prettiest and I’m no expert on scripting, but it’s honest work.

I hope you all like it. I encourage everyone to contribute to the code.

2 Likes

Agreed!

I could easily be persuaded to participate in such a documentation project (not the actual wizard) about the Snowflake Proxy. I presume this would include tips and tricks. I just need to refer to the implementation of my own Snowflake Proxy in the thread: A follow up question about Snowflake.

Yes “hacker” is badly understood in meaning. Think more about someone hacking a square peg into a round hole instead of a black hat trying to get into your computer.

1 Like